Personalize your practice
While there is a lot we have in common, there are a lot of things that make us different. It is important to have a personal practice that reflects your beliefs and utilizes the skills that you have. We don’t all get inspired by the same things. Some people like mantras, visualizations, prayers, affirmations and others may not. Create a practice that reflects you.
- A practice can have different sections. Pick the sections that you want in your daily practice and use your own wording.
- Get grounded! Shift your focus to present moment sensations
- Feel the feet on the floor, be conscious that you are breathing
- Think about your aspirations – Why are you here.
- Inspirations – quotes or prayers that inspire you
- Choose your prayers and quotes
- Slow your heart rate and decrease your blood pressure
- Long Slow Breath
- If you are stressed you might do this section longer than normally. You also might want to use one of these techniques to keep the focus:
- Balance your breath by counting to some number on the in breath and counting to the same number on the out breath.
- “Breathing in I relax my body, breathing out I calm my mind”
- Add mantras or affirmations
- If you are extremely stressed out mantras may be easier to do.
- Om, mani, padme hum.
- Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus
- I can, I will
- Reverence, gratitude, confidence humility.
- Choose a focus meditation body scan or breath.
- Do an open awareness – Mindfulness
- Be aware of the breath, the sounds, the thoughts, the smells.
- Focus on all of them at the same time or rotate between them.
- Always be aware of what your focus is.
- If thoughts are arising don’t get carried away by them. Return your primary to a present moment sensation such as sound, breath, bodily sensations.
- Lovingkindness – Thinks of those you love and wish them well
- You can go through a list of people each day that you care about.
- Think of those that are suffering and wish them the best.
Basic Instructions for Meditation
Prayers and quotes